Monday, June 28, 2010

Randy Paush's last Lecture

This is a truly amazing person. He is so right on many levels. I really liked the sports analogies. I also coach youth sports as a hobby, but it has become much more for me. Most of the kids I see have little if any encouragement in their life, and any I can give them, I do.
Also I am a firm believer is setting the bar very high. If you set it low, that is all you get. Poor performance with no meaningful input. If you set it over their heads, they will most always find a way to get over it. They may not be able to jump that high, but kids are very resourceful and they will usually find a way.
Also the part about if someone is not getting on to you, they have "checked out" on you is true. As a coach, and future teacher, I know this to be true. The kids may not like it now, but I have had parents come to me and say "My child says he will never play for another coach. He didn't even like football!" That is an amazing feeling.
The part about self reflection was awesome! One of the hardest things to do, let alone teach! But if we can find a way to do it respectfully, man what a gift!
My grand dad used to tell me that presentation is everything. He was right! You could tell your wife, "Honey, when I look into your eyes, time stands still." Or, you could say, "your face can stop a clock!" Both say the same thing, but presented oh so differently!
The brick wall thing was cool, too. Also, people who inspire you to climb/break/dig it! There are far too many kids today who do not have that in their life. My dad, was a good man, but he was human none the less. My mother should be nominated for sainthood. If I could provide just one child a glimpse of what God has in store for them, of how great they are supposed to be, I could repay her.

2 comments:

  1. Barry,

    I love your blog because, "YOUR FACE CAN STOP A CLOCK!" haha, I laughed so hard. I wish I could meet your mother. I want to know who is behind the creation of Goofy Gartman.

    Good work!

    Anthony

    Ps. When you get time, you may want to reread this for grammatical and spelling errors. It's that whole intellectual trail thing that might come back to bite you in the butt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice analysis Barry.

    You mentioned a lot of great things that Randy Pausch brought out in his lecture. The amazing thing about this video is it speaks to everyone in an individual way. I particularly like the brick wall analogy. For me this is all about perseverance and determination. Bottom line is if you want it bad enough you will figure it out.

    I agree that as teachers (coaches) we must expect great things out of our students. Our expectations give them the moxie to face and navigate their brick walls. I see expectations as seeds we plant in our students. From a seed there is the possibility for growth and by the same token form nothing there is nothing. SS

    ReplyDelete