Sunday, June 13, 2010

Don't Teach Your kids This Stuff. Please?
Very nice post that brings out the argument of classroom technology in a sarcastic manner. I, too, believe that kids need all the technology instruction they can get. This means they will also have to be taught about the pros and cons of the net. We cannot keep their head in the sand, and they will learn it without us. My children were taught from a young age that the world is full of good, and bad, people. That does not mean I keep them at home under lock and key.
The iSchool Initiative
This is a very good argument, and even better presentation, from a young man who has obviously put a lot of thought and work into it. He makes a good case for replacing the traditional school with an ischool. Yes, as presented, it would save bundles of money, something most school systems need. But I don't think class material is the root of the school systems money problems. The outrageous perks of upper management is. Try to name any business model that has the layers and layers of management of the school systems and is also fiscally sound.
Also, one aspect of the traditional schools is totally overlooked, one which is crucial to proper development of our youth...the social skills learned.
The Lost Generation
The presenter makes a good argument, from the the perspective of youth. I also have a lot more faith in the youth of today than the "experts." The values that made this the greatest country the world has ever witnessed were taught at home, by the parents (dad and mom), and reinforced in the schools. There is a movement here today to return to this proven method. If only our government would get out of the way!
Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir
WOW! The major obstacle to any great choir was getting all the participants in the same place at the same time. This process can be time consuming and expensive. Eric's brilliant use of the Internet fixes this problem nicely. The possibilities are endless!

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post. I agree with you that we should give kids as much technology instruction as we can. Technology is growing faster everyday and we need to be the ones putting them as far ahead as we can. I also agree that we can not shelter kids from every bad thing out there. I was also so impressed with the virtual choir such an eye opener to how many possibilities there really are with the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may be right about the layers of administration. My argument is that schools have no clue about what they should be doing and what tools they should be using to accomplish their task. My prediction: schools as we know them today will become baby sitting warehouses, or juvenile detention centers within 15 years and learning will take place in "iSchools" or something similar. Colleges have even a shorter life span in my view.
    I think The Lost Generation was more directed at showing off a particular skill in composing with words than delivering a social message. But I could be wrong!
    The possibilities ARE endless! You are so right about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been 13 years since I left the education field. Even then we were very close to becoming a baby sitting service, and the school my sister taught in was as close to a juvenile detention center (without the security) as it could possible be. Teachers that remain in these schools in the future, including you my dear, will need self defense classes at the least. I am so glad you have military training. :)

    ReplyDelete