Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Blog Post #6

This is how we dream
This video just blew me away. The technology used is amazing. Students of tomorrow (today?) will learn like this. We had better be prepared if we want to keep up as educators.
The part that stuck with me was "the only limit to the technology is us". That is so true. The pace of improvements in all technologies is breathtaking. I remember the Commador 16 where you had to input the program and it hooked to the tv set! Look at what it can do now! It is a snowball effect. The more it advances, the faster it advances.
I may not be able to write multimedia like this now, but I am willing and able to learn how. I have to be, because my students will be.
The Networked Student
This is how I see the "iSchools" of tomorrow. Sadly, I feel many in the education establishment will not be happy with the change, but change it must.
The days of going to a building and sitting in a class with a book are rapidly coming to an end. But not soon enough for me. I think learning like this will greatly improve learning for most if not all students.
Like I said earlier, I may not be ready to teach like this now, but I am willing to learn. I feel the teachers in this environment will be more of a coach (thanks Dr. Strange) than a teacher. We will help them navigate the massive amounts of information so they do not get side tracked (a very real possibility) and collect it in a meaningful way. I am so excited to get going!
Toward a new future: Michael Wesch
This dude is smart. He has obviously put a lot of thought and time into this subject. I am a little (very little!) older than most students, and I have witnessed the changes in culture he is talking about. I am interested to see how the world and culture will change by the time my kids grow up. Will they even have to "see" people to communicate? The future is very exciting indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment