Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Reflections

Teaching with Technology @ The FICImage by Richard Cawood via Flickr
This is by far the best class I have ever taken at South, or any school for that matter! I learned so much is such a short period of time. The programs we used, many for the first time, will be of great use in the years to come. The techniques used and learned will also be an asset for every teacher. Even if they do not realize it now. During our final presentation, there were a few students who stated they entered this class not expecting to get much out of it. I was floored! How can you not expect to get something out of a technology class? Even if they do not use it in their class rooms (gasp!), they can use nearly everything we learned somewhere. I know I entered with great expectations, and was not disappointed. Dr. Strange was great. He never chastised you for not agreeing with him, unless of course your augment was not well researched or written. And Anthony and Jamie Lynn were always eager to help with any problem. I really liked having a fellow student helping out. Sometimes it was easier to ask them a "dumb" question rather than a instructor (no offense Dr. Strange!).
I had never used a blog of any sort before this course. Now, I think will always use one in some fashion! Several of the other programs we learned I will also continue to use. Like symbaloo, for instance. This is an awesome tool to gather and categorize all those bookmarks into one easy to use and access place. Also, I had never use a movie maker before. But now I feel like an old pro! I have always had a passion for anything to do with computers, and now I have all these valuable tools we have learned to take with me on my journey as a new teacher. Hopefully I can impart to my future students the amazing world they live in by using these tools. If there was anyone who did not think this was an amazing, and instructional, class, they might should think about a career other than teaching. Our "job" is to "coach" them and teach them how to think for themselves. They are our future, and if we fail, the world's future fails.
I am a lot more secure in my future as a teacher now that I have completed this course. The lessons are just too numerous to list. Working well with others, even the ones who are outside you comfort zone. That was a big one for me. We tend to socialize with like minded people, but this class helped me to remember that everyone is different, and I will have to interact with quite a few of them regularly!
One final thought. If anyone is just starting this class and is reading this, please listen carefully. Plan your time wisely! Develop a schedule that allows you to devote that suggested time needed, plus some! I found I was having so much fun learning, I often logged 15+ hours a week devoted only to this class. It may seem like a lot, but time flies when your having fun! Also, use the labs! Use the labs! Use the labs! Did I mention, use the labs? Anthony and Jamie Lynn are there for you. Use them to your advantage. Go everyday, even if it is for only for one hour. At the end of class, you will feel it was time wasted.
Last, but not least, I have to give all due kudos to Dr. Strange for guiding me, sometimes not so gently, along my journey. I hope we can stay in touch. You have been an inspiration, more than you know. Thank you.

Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. "How can you not expect to get something out of a technology class? " It amazes me too. And you can remove the word "technology" from your sentence and i would say the same thing. But as a teacher you will often, too often, encounter students who do not expect to learn and who do not want to learn. It will be a real challenge. Your enthusiasm, down to earth personality, and resonance with others will make it a lot easier in these situations than for others. Especially those who do not have high expectations!

    No offense! Well, maybe about the " 'dumb' question". All questions are important. In fact, questions are more important than the answers.

    Students of the future: Attention! Did you hear what the "old pro" Barry has to say? Plan your time wisely. And use the labs.

    I am confident that you will be a continuing part of EDM310. Thanks for your many contributions. I look forward to many more!

    ReplyDelete